The sport massage consists of a series of maneuvers that carry out as a method of preparation for the tissues, as for the treatment of post-competition tissues, and for the control of the tissues between each sport activity.
The aim of the sports massage is:
- Optimize muscle performance.
- Prevent injury.
- Find injuries.
- Support in the treatment of injuries.
- Fight against fatigue.
- Increase work capacity.
This specific type of massage works by activating the circulation of fluids, accelerating the elimination of waste, toxins and other waste materials, as well as increasing muscle oxygenation.
The moment in which the massage is carried out to the athlete is very important since it favors the concentration, the introspection and the emotionality of the athlete for the competition.
The athlete requires that the body is the maximum to win in a sport. The sports massage is at this point of great used in order to achieve the therapeutic effect, the contribution of confidence and safety that every athlete needs to win a test. But for this, the massage should be performed by a professional in the science of Physical Therapy.
Effects of sport massage
Effects on the preparatory massage:
- Increased muscle alertness.
- Increased circulation.
- Increased muscle temperature.
- Increases elasticity.
- Eliminates myalgia and areas of peripheral muscle adhesion.
Effects on recovery massage:
- Acts on hypertonic muscles, tired muscles and full of catabolites.
- Blood supply.
- Decreases contracture.
- Facilitates the disposal of waste.
Effects on the maintenance massage:
- Maintains elasticity.
- Diagnose trigger points and myalgia.
- Eliminates muscle fatigue.
- Maintains muscular trophism.
Sliding media in sports massage
A correct oil to massage the athlete increases the expected effect even more. To use them properly, it is necessary to know the time to apply them, whether it is before or after the sport.
Some examples of beneficial oils in therapeutic massage are:
- Calophyllum oil has analgesic effects.
- Calendula oil is anti-inflammatory.
- Camphorated rosemary oil serves to deflate and relax the muscle.
For the pre-competitive sports massage we recommend the combination of glycerin with alcohol, so that glycerin is the slippery medium and the alcohol warms the muscle. Some hot gel can also be used. Thus the blood vessels of the muscle are dilate and carry nutrients necessary for competition.
For the sports recovery massage is used with soap to wipe the sweat and get a good sliding half to give the massage. For the sports massage of maintenance it is recommended to use oil or cream.